Get to your vet immediately if your dog gets his paws on this – even if he shows no symptoms. He might seem completely normal for 4 to 5 hours after the fact, but this food could potentially kill him. Not all survive even with immediate care.
Dogs are more often the victims of chocolate poisoning than cats, because dogs like sweet-tasting things, and they are indiscriminate eaters to begin with.
Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate are the most common culprits, but other sources include chewable flavored multivitamins, baked goods, chocolate-covered espresso beans, and cocoa bean mulch.
Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, elevated body temperature, increased reflex responses, rigid muscles, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, a drop in blood pressure, and seizures.
Your veterinarian will want to perform a physical exam and order a chemical blood profile, an electrolyte panel, and a urinalysis – all of which can help determine if there is a chocolate or caffeine overdose.
Necessary medications and other care will be given depending on the patient’s symptoms, which may include seizures, respiratory distress, and/or heart abnormalities. Intravenous (IV) fluids can speed up excretion of theobromine in urine. In addition, it will keep your pet hydrated through this crisis.
While most dog parents are aware of the dangers of chocolate, many people don’t realize that cocoa bean mulch used for gardening can be fatally toxic as well.
As an example, if your 50-pound dog eats 2 ounces of cocoa bean mulch, he’ll probably experience some GI upset such as abdominal pain, vomiting, or diarrhea.
Source: Dr. Karen Becker