After Ethan got pushed, his mom ran outside, but Smudge got the group before she did.
“I saw Smudge fly out from under our car and jump on the boy’s chest,” she told The Daily Mail. “I think it was shock more than anything but the boy stumbled backwards, burst into tears and then ran off.”
Those boys should have known: never mess with a cat’s human.
Smudge, who is now up for the National Cat of the Year award set up by the Cats Protection charity, sleeps outside Ethan’s bedroom keeping guard ever since the incident.
“I actually feel so much safer knowing Smudge is around after seeing him defend him like that,” Sharon says. “He is a big part of the family and he is more of a brother to the boys than a cat.”
Now, moving on to the dog’s tail (there’s that pun again!) of bravery…
An electrical fire that started in the garage started to engulf the house, and Nick did not hear the smoke alarms going off while he slept. So his two-year-old pit bull Ace jumped into action.
“My dog licked my face and woke me up,” Nick told NBC’s Indy affiliate. “I woke up and the entire house was covered with smoke and we ran out in the backyard.”
The house was completely destroyed in the fire, but thanks to Ace, the most precious thing in the house was rescued and is safe and sound.
And bonus story: the family’s cat Pixie, who they couldn’t get out of the house, was eventually rescued by firefighters and is doing just fine after being checked out by the vet.
Yay for hero pets! The most our cats do to rescue us is meow nonstop until we feed them because they would probably kill us if we ever let them get even the least bit hungry.
by Jenna Mullins Thu., Jul. 17, 2014 2:19 PM PDT