The old wives tale that one year of a dogs life is equal to seven years has been proven to be false. For example, dogs are capable of reproducing at around one year of age, but a seven year old child is far from sexually mature.
Veterinarians have now come up with a much more realistic comparison between human and dog years.
Giant breeds like Great Danes have a shorter life span, 8 to 10 years, and are considered senior dogs at 6 to 8 years.
- Small Dogs (less than 20 pounds)
- Medium sized Dogs (21-50 pounds)
- Large Dogs (51-90 pounds)
- Giant Dogs (more than 90 pounds)
- Smaller dogs can live over 16 years
- Medium sized dogs 10 to 14 years
- Large dogs like Great Dane size typically live 7 to 8 years.
Large breed dogs stay “puppylike” for 24 months or more, compared to the usual 12 to 15 months for medium and small dogs.